- Acknowledge achievement. You can do this by giving certificates/rewards, posting a Readers Hall of Fame, or by simply praising students individually.
- Do not overemphasize points! Focus on growth and goals. Set goals by going to the AR Record Book>Reading Practice Goals. Use Actual ZPD/Book Level/% to help you figure out each student's goals.
- Use the Reading Practice Certifications Record Book or the Reading Certification Levels Report to help you figure out who have reached their goals. Print out Reader Certification Certificates. (Go to Accelerated Reader>Reports>Reading Practice>Reader Certification Certificates.)
- Have high-interest books in your classroom and advertise them. Be enthusiastic about your own reading and share with your students.
- Enlist parent support by showing them how to log on to their child's site, view student progress and reading choices, and get real-time quiz results via email (Home Connect).
- Start a book club, invite an author, have a Family Reading Night, etc.