READY (Phase 1):
- Assess students using STAR.
- Print out your STAR Summary Report. Go to Star Reading>Reports>Summary. Use the "Sort by Rank" option so you can easily see groupings/levels.
- Assign colors to students using the ZPD range. For example if a child's ZPD is 2.3 to 3.3, I would assign him a blue dot (2.0 to 2.9). Start on the lower end first!
- Inform students about their reading level/range. Emphasize the fact that they have to pick the right level book so that they can improve, and you expect them to keep moving up because they are practicing with the right books. This is a good time to give them their AR bookmarks so that they know their ZPD range.
- Teach students how to log on to their site and take a sample reading quiz with your class. Log on to Renaissance Place and use this sample student site: Username/password: sample/abc. Pick a story you've just read together. A lot of Treasures stories have AR quizzes.
- Show them how to find AR books in the school library and your classroom library. (For your classroom library, make sure you have books for the reading levels in your classroom. Label/color-code them, sort into tubs, etc.)
- Have students find their books. Tell them they need to show you their choice so that you know they have the right book. If finding books in the library, be sure to bring either your STAR summary report or your iPad so that you have access to their ZPDs. Students should bring their bookmarks, or you could write their ZPDs on their library bookmark (the big one).